Location: Home > Study in Singapore > Career Opportunities > Passes & Visas

Passes & Visas





date:Mar 19,2013 source:互联网 editorial staff:linan clicks:

Non-residents must hold a valid work pass before they can work in Singapore. Employers who hire foreigners without valid work passes can be prosecuted under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.

Changes to Work Pass Administrative Fees

From 1 April 2013, administrative fees for most work passes will be revised. For more information, please refer to our press release and FAQs. Electronic Submission of Verification Proof for People’s Republic of China (PRC) Education Certificate

From 4 February 2013, you may be asked to upload a clear copy of a verification proof when you apply for or renew passes of applicants with diploma and above qualifications obtained from China. This also applies to draft applications that were created earlier, but only submitted after 4 February 2013.

This verification will help to show that your foreign applicants have graduated with the said qualification from the institution. You can do so by using any one of the following independent verification channels:

CHESICC – China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center
CDGDC – China Academic Degrees & Graduate Education Information
Please ensure that the documents uploaded belong to the correct applicant, and are clear. They should not cut be off at the sides, nor have blurred text and images. Facial features on the photographs (if any) should be clearly visible.You may refer to the list of FAQs for more information related to this requirement.
Changes to Dependant Privileges for Work Pass Holders

The Government is tightening the criteria for work pass holders to sponsor dependants as part of the overall direction to moderate the growth of Singapore’s non-resident population. This will help ease the pressure on our social infrastructure. Nonetheless, Singapore remains a global talent capital. We continue to welcome highly skilled foreign professionals who wish to bring their dependants to stay with them.

The changes, from 1 September 2012 are as follows:
S Pass and Employment Pass (EP) holders need to earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $4,000 to sponsor the stay of their spouses and children here.
P1 Pass holders will no longer be able to bring in their parents-in-law. They may still bring in their parents, spouses and children.
P2 Pass holders will no longer be able to bring in their parents or parents-in-law. They may still bring in their spouses and children.
Dependants of EP and S Pass holders who are in Singapore by 1 September 2012 will be allowed to stay in Singapore if these work pass holders have valid passes with their existing employers. For more information, please refer to our FAQs.
Foreigners can perform certain activities in Singapore for short durations without a work pass. Before engaging in these activities, they are required to submit an e-Notification to inform Ministry of Manpower.

For professionals
For mid-skilled workers
For skilled & semi-skilled workers
For foreigners’ dependants
 Short-term passes
For students & foreigners undergoing training
For Long Term Visit Pass holders in Singapore

For professionals
Employment Pass
The Employment Pass allows foreign professionals to work in Singapore. It applies to foreigners who earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $3,000, and have acceptable qualifications. Employers must make applications for Employment Passes on behalf of a job candidate. Any change of employer will require a new application.

Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)
The Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) is for certain group of existing Employment Pass holders and overseas foreign professionals. Unlike an Employment Pass, which must be cancelled when the pass holder leaves the employer, the PEP is not tied to the employer and is granted on the strength of the applicant’s merit. A PEP holder can remain in Singapore for up to six months between jobs to evaluate new employment opportunities.

Foreign entrepreneurs who would like to start businesses in Singapore should apply for the EntrePass.

Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate
The Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate has been discontinued since 1 December 2011. The Ministry of Manpower no longer accept any applications or appeals for this scheme

For mid-level skilled workers
S Pass
The S Pass allows mid-level skilled foreigners who earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $2,000 to work in Singapore. Employers must make S Pass applications on behalf of a job candidate.S Pass applications are assessed on multiple criteria including salary, education qualification, skills, job type and work experience.

For skilled & semi-skilled workers
Work Permit
A Work Permit (WP) is generally issued to foreign unskilled workers.The duration of a Work Permit is generally two years, subject to the validity of the worker’s passport, the Banker’s/Insurance Guarantee, and the worker’s employment period, whichever is shorter. The worker is only allowed to work for the employer and in the specified occupation.

Specific variants of Work Permits allow foreigners to work as domestic helpers, confinement nannies and performing artistes.

For foreigners’ dependants
Dependant's Pass
Employment Pass holders and selected S Pass holders can apply for Dependant’s Passes for their spouse (legally married) or unmarried/legally adopted children under 21 years of age.

Long Term Visit Pass
Employment Pass holders (P1, P2) can apply for Long Term Visit Passes for their common-law spouse, step-children under 21 years of age or handicapped children above 21 years of age. Employment Pass holders on P1 Pass can also apply the pass for their parents.

Short-term passes
Miscellaneous Work Pass
The Miscellaneous Work Pass is for foreigners working in Singapore on short-term assignments that fall into certain specific activity categories.
Work Permit for Performing Artistes
This work pass is for foreign artistes performing at any Public Entertainment Licenced bar, discotheque, lounge, night club, pub, hotel, private club or restaurant for a maximum of six months.

For students & foreigners undergoing training
Foreign students in Singapore are not allowed to work during term time or vacation time unless they are granted Work Pass exemption. The Training Work Permit, the Training Employment Pass or the Work Holiday Programme must be applied for foreign students who wish to take up any work.

Work Holiday Programme
The Work Holiday Programme (WHP) allows foreign university students and recent graduates, between 18 and 25 years old, to come to Singapore to live and work for up to six months.

Training Employment Pass
Foreigners undergoing practical training attachments for professional, managerial, executive or specialist jobs in Singapore should apply for a Training Employment Pass.

The Training Work Permit allows unskilled or semi-skilled foreign trainees undergoing practical training in Singapore to work for up to six months.

For Long Term Visit Pass holders
Long Term Visit Pass holders who wish to work in Singapore should apply for a Work Pass – an Employment Pass , S Pass or Work Permit.

For Long Term Visit Pass holders accompanying their children studying in Singapore, they are not be allowed to hold a work pass during their first year in Singapore. After the first year, they will be allowed to hold a work pass, and be employed in Singapore

Ei Study www.eistudy.com professional overseas education service provider with years of experiences and highest rates of services and success in recommending world's best education institutions to fulfill your dreams in seeking knowledge and target your future. Zero agent fee! Local please contact: +65 6737 9958

Follow Us:
Hotline China:0086-4007160816 Hotline Singapore:0065-67379958
Copyright and Disclaimer
1.We welcome all kind of reproduction of our original articles, please indicate the source for reproduction purpose as followed: Singapore Eistudy en.eistudy.com;
2. All contents within this web site aims to disseminate useful information for the users, it does not fully represent the opinion of our web site and we do not assume tort liability or copyright of the published contents;
3. User should assume all responsibility for the opinions published in our blog / forum.
Zoe Cheng
咨询Zoe Cheng
Top Weekly News
Top Courses

Toll-free China Hotline:

Singapore Hotline:

more>>ENLIGHTEN Events
Visit by Mr Martin Boyce - La Trobe Melbourne
Visit by Mr Martin Boyce - La Trobe Melbourne

This October 2013 has been a busy month for Ei Holdings On 21st October 2013, we hosted our third international visitor - Mr Martin Boyce, Marketing Director, for La Trobe Melbourne This was his maiden visit to our office Together with Joanne and Glenn, the visitor was given an insight of our company s profile, strategy, directions and future development

Encore visit by Mr Steven Wong
Encore visit by Mr Steven Wong

It was our pleasure to host Mr Steven Wong who is Marketing Manager for Eynesbury College, on 17th October 2013 This was his maiden visit to our company Upon his arrival, Mr Steven was given a brief introduction of the company s growth, developments and strategy for the last quarter of 2013 He was pleasantly surprised by the significant developments within such as a span of time and was truly impressed with the tremendous growth and milestones that Ei Holdings had achieved over the years